Sunday, March 31, 2013

That's What Chey Said: Mood Reading

A lot of the reading I do relies on the mood I'm in, but lately I've had too many review books to be picky about the genre I get to read next!  While it seems that I'm ALWAYS in the mood for something contemporary, that's not entirely the case.  Sometimes my mood changes and I'm in need of an adventure, cheesy paranormal romance, or even a dystopian setting.  Some months I clearly read more of one genre than another.  I can tell you that March was my paranormal month.  So...what happens when I'm not enjoying a book because I'm not in the mood for it?


Because I'm mostly a mood-reader, I tend to switch it up a lot.  Unfortunately, this means that sometimes I get tired of reading a book halfway through.  There have been times where I've put a book down because I loathed it...but then came back to it when I was in the mood and ended up reading it in one sitting because it was just that good.  There are also times where I try and forget about what mood I'm in and race through the story, which I believe occasionally lowers the rating I would have given the book otherwise.  

Why do I do this?  Sometimes I just don't have the time because I procrastinate.  Sometimes I realize that my TBR pile is growing to be larger than the amount of books I'll ever be able to read in this lifetime, and when I finish one book, 5 more have taken its place.  I don't have the time to put books down and come back to them later, because later I plan to be reading something else.  Sometimes my mood changes in between the time it takes to read a book, and I end up disliking something I enjoyed at the beginning.

Then there are the times where I'm surprised at how much I love a book that I wasn't in the mood to read.  When this happens, it makes my day and reminds me how many books there are that will surprise you and turn your mood around completely.   


Are you a mood-reader, or are you in the mood for anything at any time?  Do you DNF books, or do you eventually come back to them?

14 comments:

  1. I can read anything at any time.
    If i am really into it i will not put it down, i will stay up all night and read it. Then end up with a book hangover! Had a few of those lately :P
    Lately i just cant stop reading i read the whole James bond collection in 2 weeks, the i took them back and got six more out on top of the three i already had a t home. I took the six out coz i wanted to have enough to read over the Easter holidays, but keep in mind i have book shelves full to read of my own! I have a passion for books what can i say :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, book hangovers! I was planning a discussion post about those too, because I tend to suffer quite a bit from them. :P

      Delete
  2. Total mood reader! Right now I'm giving a book a second try after DNF the first go round, and I really like it now! Also: Early seasons Jim Halpert is adorable. Love the gifs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when that happens! Also I agree, I <3 Jim. :D

      Delete
  3. I'm a mood reader but not that as bad as you xD This is actually the reason why I have stopped signing up for book your, it's becoming a chore reading those books instead of actually enjoying them. If they are good I won't mind too much, but the problem is just actually starting them at all. When I DNF books, that's it. I don't come back to them like ever. Way too many other books to read xD

    -Nyx @ Unraveling Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I really am pretty bad, aren't I? I think after I finish these last few book tours, I'm going to have to pass on any requests unless I cannot live without the book. :P It's just so hard for me to DNF books because I want to believe that they could always have more potential.

      Delete
  4. I'm a mood reader as well! I always go back to a book - because half of the time I'm not in the mood for that genre. And it's not so much reading the book that's hard for me - it's that sort of panic of starting a new book/genre. I have such a hard time adjusting to new characters, that it takes me a little while to start enjoying a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not alone! I usually find it easy to dive into a new book, though!

      Delete
  5. I mix things up, not so much for mood but to avoid burn-out, I talked about this last week on my caffeinated confessions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks for letting me know, I'll have to check that out! I still tend to get burned out no matter how many different genres I read. :P

      Delete
  6. I'm a mood reader too but there are times where I just need to read a book for the sake of reading it and getting it over and done with. But for the most part it depends on my mood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a mood reader too but my genres don't fluctuate that much lately...it's more like am I feeling adult-paranormal fantasy, adult fantasy, ya-fantasy or children's fantasy LOL And I deal with it by reading more than one book at a time so I can switch it up as I go. And if a book I finish is too good, then I get a book-hangover and can't pick anything up at all for days o.O I wish I was disciplined as you with review books...I'm pretty caught up now but I fell horribly behind recently >.<

    Anyways great discussion topic, thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a mood reader sometimes -- that's when I turn to old favorites that I've read tons of times.

    If I'm not in a great mood, I try not to read review books, because hey, sometimes they're like working.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know that I'd call myself a mood reader but I do pick books depending on what I fancy reading. Sometimes I know I should be reading X book but then I spy K book on the shelf and just want to read that instead. So I guess maybe that makes me a mood reader?

    I have a VERY bad habit of leaving a book halfway through though because something else has picked my fancy and it does take me a long time to go back to the other books which is sad when it was a book I was actually enjoying :/ But I also read multiple books at once so that kinda disrupts the mood reading as well.

    Great post though! I'm going to be highlighting it in my Weekly Highlights tomrrow, just so you know :)

    Faye

    ReplyDelete