Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Review: Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Title: Requiem
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age Group: Young Adult
Category: Dystopian
Release date: March 5th, 2013
Pages: 391 (Hardcover)
Rating: 5 out of 5
Source: Publisher
Goodreads | Amazon | Author

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight. 

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor.

Lena fights her way back into the Wilds, but what she quickly discovers is that the government is even finding a way to control the Invalids and how they choose to live their lives as well.   The group quickly realizes that this will never end without a fight, and they're prepared to do anything it takes.  As the group makes their way back to Lena's hometown, she finds that there's more at stake than she first realized.   In this exciting final book to the Delirium series, we learn that there's a difference between wanting something and actually making it happen.

I don't even know where to begin to explain how incredible this book was.  Actually, I may have enjoyed Requiem more than Pandemonium, and Pandemonium was one of my top favorites of last year!  Switching back and forth from Lena's and Hana's point of view, we get to see both sides of the story.  Here is Lena, a part of the Resistance, and Hana, the mayor's fiancee.  Two opposite people, even though they were once best friends.  As you read along, you grow attached to both characters, seeing their good and bad qualities.  I think this is what made the story the best that it could be, because the reader was caught right in the middle of the fight.

The romance, which may be what most were waiting for, was done fabulously.  I don't think that any fans will be disappointed, whether they're Team Julian or Team Alex, because both are very active in Lena's life.  I can tell you this, though, I am very happy with Lena's ultimate decision.  Aside from that, the story is filled with action, emotion and even a sweet and unexpected reunion.

Though many people will dislike the ending and the fact that certain things weren't left completely clear, I loved the way that the author left Lena's future to the imagination.  What I can promise you is that the series ends on a good note.  Requiem was everything I imagined it would be.  It's the perfect ending to one of the most captivating YA series I've read so far!

5 comments:

  1. What a great review. I can't wait to get my hands on this book. I'm glad it was so good. I love that Lena and Hana alternate POV - that sounds genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I think this is what made the story the best that it could be, because the reader was caught right in the middle of the fight." < This. When a writer can cause emotions on both sides to stir up inside, it is a good read. I can't wait to get my hands on this one. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The end of the sequel was such a killer for me. Anyway, great review! I can't wait to read this book even though I wished it was only in Lena's POV. Not a big fan of Hana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5 Stars!! I need to buy my copy now. Team Julian! Thanks for the lovely review, Chey.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally - a positive review! I've heard so many people saying they were disappointed with the ending of this rilogy - I only hope I will enjoy it as much as you did :)

    ReplyDelete